A batch of updates for the beginning of June

Hello Blinksale users!

I just want to make a quick note of a few new things and improvements which we rolled out this weekend.

• [new] Choose the invoice or estimate template right from within the “Send” dialog. Previously, the only way to change the template you used to send an invoice would be to change it in Settings.
  • [new] Preview the invoice or estimate before sending it. This allows you to take a look at how your client will see the invoice sent via email. You can see how various options will affect the delivered email.
  • [improved] The state of the “Send as PDF” checkbox is now remembered when sending out an invoice/estimate.
  • [new] Choose the invoice template to be used for recurring invoices.
  • [new] Allow attaching PDFs to automatically delivered recurring invoices.
  • [new] Specify payment options to be included on recurring invoices.

Hope you enjoy these. We love hearing your feature suggestions and they help us prioritize the things we have on our roadmap. So keep them coming!

Thanks! Until next time.

• On June 21, 2011, Steph said:

Thanks guys. I would LOVE it if you’d allow me to set tax-exempt status for specific clients so I don’t have to remember to uncheck the tax box for my US and First Nations clients. Thanks for reading this!

• On June 23, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Steph, thanks for the request. Let me pass this on to the dev team! Hope you’re having a great day.

• On July 24, 2011, Juan Salgado said:

Since Steph brought up Tax exempt status options, what about Rate Codes one could apply for specific clients?

• On July 25, 2011, Istvan Hoka said:

Hi Juan,

Do you mean you would like to have different rates applied to various clients?

• On August 4, 2011, Thomas said:

It would be great to have the option to give the customer a percent discount for paying an invoice within 10, 15, or 30 days. Something like 2% if paid within 10 days, 1.5% if paid within 15, or 1% if paid within 30. Corporate clients always pay invoices with these kinds of discounts first (as they add up when paying hundreds of invoices a month) and they actually do all the calculations when they remit payment. I just need a way to choose one of them depending on the client and the amount of the invoice before I send it out.

• On August 10, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Tom, thanks for writing in with the great suggestion. We actually have something like that logged as something we look to add in the future. Stay posted for news and update. Thanks!

• On August 24, 2011, Nick said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for adding PDF to recurring invoices, makes things much better.

I would likes to see a couple of other additions to the invoices:

1. The option to set an automatic reminder date. I’d like to automatically remind my clients that they have 7 days left rather than login and only be able to send a reminder once the invoice is overdue.
    2. The ability to have custom InvoiceIDs on recurring invoices. My normal invoices have an alphanumeric identifier (usually the customer account code) followed by a slash and then the incrementing number. It would be nice to be able to set a prefix to the recurring Invoice ID and to also choose what number to start at (ie. 001 instead of 1001).

• On August 28, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Nick, thanks for writing in with these great suggestions. We’ll make sure to pass them on to our dev team for review.
    Hope you had a great weekend!

• On May 10, 2012, Aaron Wiebe said:

One feature which would *double* my loyalty to Blinksale would be an option to invoice a percentage of the approved estimate up front, basically as a retainer or deposit. I am currently having to do this manually, and it’s a bit of a pain! :)