How do I create a recurring invoice?

If you need to invoice clients for the same items on a repeating basis — such as monthly — then recurring invoices are for you. To create one, click on the Recurring tab, then hit New Template. Give your template a name and complete the line items as you would for a normal invoice. Then, hit Save Invoice.

Next, you’ll want to associate one or more clients with the template. Click on Add new client and select from the pulldown menu that appears. If you need to add additional clients, you can do so, or hit the delete icon to remove one.

Set the schedule for invoicing these clients in the sidebar on the right. Select how often the invoice should go out (weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly or every certain number of days) and the date on which the invoicing schedule begins. Hit Set Schedule when you’re done.

When the time comes, Blinksale will create a new invoice from your template and send it to the clients you specified. What will you do with all that time you save?

• On September 8, 2010, Simon Fletcher said:

How do you control the invoice numbering on the recurring invoice, is there a way to get it to pick the next logical invoice number.

• On September 16, 2010, Jared Christensen said:

That’s a great question, Simon. Admittedly, I am not terribly familiar with recurring invoices (yet), but I have put in a ticket to investigate the issue and find a solution for you. Thanks for the feedback!

• On December 21, 2010, Mike said:

I seem to have discovered the hard way that recurring invoices stop recurring after 12 months – without any notification.

is this the case? Is it deliberate, or a fault?

• On January 12, 2011, Mary Jo said:

Has there been any information about the invoice number incrementing with recurring event? Also, how does the reoccuring event know to send the next invoice? Does it just repeat off of the first invoice sent? (i.e. if sent on 15th and setup for reoccuring every month, does the invoice get sent every 15th?)

• On January 18, 2011, Eva Pedersen said:

I’m wondering about the start date – when you set the start date on a reoccurring invoice, I assume you are *adding* the time that I set to that start date, correct? So let’s say an invoice is set to start March 5, 2011 and occur quarterly – then I can expect an invoice to be sent out on June 5, 2011, correct? (and not March 5, 2011)

Maybe I am confusing the matter, but let’s say I set up some reoccurring quarterly payments in the future – to me, ‘start date’ DOES NOT imply that an invoice will be sent out on that date, but rather on the day that the following falls: my start date PLUS 3 months.

Please clarify, I would hate to send out a slew of invoices to clients prematurely.

Thanks,
    Eva

• On January 26, 2011, Jared Christensen said:

Eva –

When you add a client, the date you set in the “Start billing this client” date fields is the date the first invoice will be sent out to them.

The selection you make in the “Send this invoice” dropdown in the sidebar determines how often the invoice will be sent, based on the “Start billing this client” date.

So if you set a “Start billing this client” date of March 5, 2011, the first invoice will be sent at 12:00 AM on March 5, 2011. If you have set the “Send this invoice” dropdown to “Quarterly,” the next invoice will be sent 3 months later, on June 5, 2011. And so on, every 3 months on the 5th of the month.

• On January 26, 2011, Jared Christensen said:

Mike – No, that is definitely not what should be happening. Recurring invoices should continue forever, until you stop them.

I’ve alerted our developer to the issue so we can get this resolved for you.

• On January 26, 2011, Jared Christensen said:

Mary Jo –

We have a plan in place for adding more control over invoice numbering, but I don’t have any information as to when it will get added to Blinksale.

As for how recurring invoices know when to send themselves: yes, you described it correctly.

It’s all based off of the settings you choose. The “Start billing this client” date determines the first date that the invoice will be sent, and the “Send this invoice” dropdown in the sidebar determines how often the invoice will be sent, based on the “Start billing this client” date.

• On March 17, 2011, Alan Peart said:

I have a couple of clients who want to be billed 6-monthly and I would love to see this added as an option for recurring invoices (or, say, to be able to rebill every X months as you currently can for days).

Currently I have to set myself a reminder in my calendar to create once-off invoices and it seems like this might be an easy and very useful feature for you to add.

Thanks for Blinksale in general. It’s made my life a lot easier than before!

• On June 21, 2011, Dennis H. Lewis said:

A quick question…

When the system creates a new invoice, what ID does it assign?

Does it add 1 to the last ID number used? If so, if the last ID used was something like 2011/008 will it choose 2011/009?

Thanks,

Dennis

• On June 21, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Dennis, thanks for writing in! When the system creates a new invoice, is does not automatically assign an ID, but let you know the ID of the last invoice you sent.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. patrick at blinksale dot com.

Have a great day!

• On June 28, 2011, Sarah Hawksworth said:

Hi!

I was following the thread concerning reoccurring invoices, and invoice sequence integrated within the same numbering as all the invoices and not having their own separate numbering system. Has there been development with this?, as I would be useful for the numbering to remain consistent with all the invoices.

Also, when creating a client profile, would it be possible to include a field for the clients tax reference and for this information to be included on the invoice, as part of the clients details.

Many thanks in advance of a response.
    Sarah

• On June 29, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Sarah! Yes, recurring invoice numbering control has been on the radar for quite a while and we’ll be fixing this soon. Thanks for using Blinksale!

• On December 7, 2011, Alyson Schafer said:

Hi,
    How do I put a STOP to a re-occurring invoice now that the contract is over?

Alyson

• On December 18, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Alyson, to STOP a recurring invoice, click on the “Invoices” tab in your Blinksale account. Under that tab, click on the “Recurring Invoices” tab. From there, click on the template that is being sent that you want to stop. Then you can click the red “x” next to the client that you want to stop sending that recurring invoice to. Let me know if you need anything else. Hope you’re well!

• On January 20, 2014, Ilia Lobsanov said:

I’ve asked for this feature a long time ago and I’ll try asking again:

I’d like to be able to use some variables in the description of a line item of a recurring invoice. Variables like “current_month” and “last_month”.

Reason being is I need the description to record the current billing period. eg. “Services rendered January 25 – February 25”.
    So in the template I would say: “Services rendered {{last_month}} 25 – {{current_month}} 25”

• On March 15, 2014, Anna said:

Hi, I just want to clarify something. Does recurring invoicing means recurring billing?