New! Platinum Plan & Improved Reminders

Platinum Plan

It’s funny how the most obvious of things can manage to fly under the radar for so long.

One day, after our weekly status call, a couple of us got into a casual conversation about the future of Blinksale and all of the great features that we are pushing out. Some of these features will open up whole new ways to use Blinksale (seriously). And then it occurs to me: Blinksale doesn’t have an “unlimited” plan. Not only are the future uses of Blinksale sure to be stunted by the 250-invoice monthly maximum, but even current uses could be affected. How the heck did we never think about this before?

I’m going to blame this brain-melting summer heat. And maybe Justin Bieber. Just because.

Well, consider the oversight rectified. The new Platinum Plan gives you unlimited everything. Estimates, invoices and even recurring invoices. If you’ve ever needed or wanted to blow past that 250-invoice limit, this plan is for you. No limit. Go nuts.

Reminders

Sending a Reminder to pay an invoice to a client isn’t what I would call enjoyable. It’s probably not all that fun to receive a Reminder, either. Customizing your Reminder is a good way to infuse your own personal brand or “voice” into the message and make the exchange a bit more personal.

The problem with Reminders was that customization of the Reminder message removed the dynamic data (amount or % of the late fee, client’s name, etc.).

The new Reminders interface allows you to customize the message to your heart’s content while preserving all of that juicy dynamic data. If you’re familiar with basic HTML and scripting (if/else statements), the new Liquid Template tag system will be child’s play. If you’re not a coder, fear not: the Edit Mode contains a legend of all the code used, for your referencing pleasure. You can also Preview any of your changes before saving the message and revert back to the default message should your customization attempts not go so well. We recommend that you begin your customization efforts by editing the text outside of the tags, and then edit the tags themselves as you get more comfortable with the syntax.

This is the first of many planned inclusions of Liquid tags in various Blinksale interfaces. They will allow for powerful (optional) customization of many of Blinksale’s moving parts. Get excited! Yeah!

• On September 20, 2010, Steph said:

Nice – thanks for the reminder-editing capability. THat’s a nice touch.

• On September 26, 2010, Tony Oravet said:

Thanks for the great reminder editing features! This will save so much time when sending reminders!

• On October 6, 2010, Bobbi Jo Woods said:

How about a smaller-than-Silver plan for those of us who can never get close to using 50 invoices per month, but for whom 6 per month is woefully insufficient? What about that? I for one, would like to see a plan between Bronze and Silver. I’ve been using Blinksale since 2006 and have seen it go through many changes, many of them good. But I feel there is an under-served chunk of customers here like me who are freelancers that perhaps only work on 3-4 projects per month, but have some other small billing things that come up such as hosting, etc.

Thanks for listening!

PS – I just tried to downgrade a moment ago and now it’s saying something’s wrong with my card. Can someone fix this?

• On October 7, 2010, Kristina said:

Somewhat as an offshoot of reminders, I’d like to revisit something I mentioned months before. Never saw a response (but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t one). What about an option to close an invoice without marking it paid and without deleting it? I don’t want to lose the paper trail or the electronic trail of someone who fails to pay, after I suspend service. Right now to close it and take it off the past due list, I have to mark it paid and then delete the payment from the narrative history, and add my own note like “not paid; cancelled by me.” This means you add the amount to my “collected total” — which is not accurate. My other option is to delete the invoice entirely. This is too radical — the uncollectible invoices belongs in my history for tax and other reasons. There is nothing in between that I can easily see. Am I overlooking an option to close and mark it as a deadbeat client?

• On October 12, 2010, Rich said:

@Kristina +1 for the idea, I’ve posted this on the getsatisfaction.com/blinksale previously. It’s probably my biggest gripe with Blinksale.

• On October 12, 2010, Jared Christensen said:

Kristina (& Rich) – You guys are right on, and it is clearly a feature that needs to be added. Let me see what I can do to move it along faster…

• On October 12, 2010, Jared Christensen said:

Rich, I’m unable to locate the GetSatisfaction post you mentioned. Any way you could post the link here so I can review it?

• On October 19, 2010, James Halliday said:

Hey Folks,

Love Blinksale, keep up the outstanding work. Speaking of outstanding, I’d love to see a simple automatic reminder feature. So when I check an unpaid invoice and send my first reminder I can set Blinksale to resend the same reminder automatically at intervals I specify. It really would take the hassle out of chasing to know that once a week Blinksale is reminding for me.

I’d love that.

Cheers ,

James

• On October 19, 2010, Jared Christensen said:

Love that idea, James! I’ve added it to the features to-do list.

• On December 4, 2011, Nick said:

I’d really love automatic reminders too – I’m tired of chasing people up, and also forgetful…

• On December 22, 2011, Lise Dykes said:

Another vote here for auto reminders. Can’t believe I didn’t notice that was missing before I switched from my old provider. Love everything else!