Introducing Blinksale Unlimited

Starting today, May 1st, we are making a big change here at Blinksale.

The perennial “tiered” plans model—the one that offers Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum plans—is being put out to pasture. In its place, Blinksale is introducing a new model offering just one plan: Blinksale Unlimited.

This plan is just $15 a month and offers unlimited everything: invoices, estimates, users, clients, support and more. No limits!

This is huge, we know, and raises a lot of questions. Do I need to pay more now? Do I get the same features? Is there anything I need to do? But the biggest question is probably, “Why?” Because counting invoices holds us back. Both of us.

As you have probably noticed, Blinksale has enjoyed a resurgence of development activity; the app has been redesigned, estimates have been added, Blinkpay has been launched, and there have been dozens of performance and UI enhancements made all over the place (with even more great stuff on the horizon). We love this product, and want to spend every day making it rock your bottom line.

Increasingly, the practice of limiting invoices based on each account type has either hampered or added complication to the development of new features. Every time we think about adding something new to Blinksale, we have to run it through the questions: “So how does this work with invoice counting? How does this feature change with each plan?”

Not only does this suck for us, it sucks for you. There’s this barrier between now and the future, and it’s invoice counting. It’s time to remove that barrier.

What this means for current customers

An email has gone out to all current Blinksale customers with details pertaining to this change. In a nutshell, all customers who were paying more than $15.00 before the switch will automatically switch over to Blinksale Unlimited and enjoy a lower monthly subscription. For those paying less than $15.00, you’ve got until July 1st to ponder the change and jump aboard.

For those not interested in switching to the new plan, on July 1st your account will simply “hibernate”—meaning you will still be able to request access to your account and sign up for Blinksale Unlimited. [updated 4/7/2012] We will never delete or hinder you from getting to your data. Again, if you ever decide to continue with Blinksale Unlimited in the future, your account will be waiting for you.

What this means for new customers

Starting May 1, 2011, new customers will have no “What plan to I chose?” dilemma. There will only be Blinksale Unlimited. One all-inclusive plan for one low price gives customers everything Blinksale has, without limits. A set of features that used to cost $99 now costs only $15. Dang, that’s a good deal.

We’ve worked for months to architect a transition that is both fair and smooth for our current customers—and one that presents a great alternative for new ones. This is an exciting new chapter in Blinksale’s life, and we’re happy you’re here. We’re counting on you (and not counting invoices)!

Onward and upward!

• On May 2, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Ross, sorry to see you go! As we’ve grown, and have continued to learn about what makes us tick, we just felt we were better served by doing more for fewer customers than less, for more customers. A hard decision to be sure, but we are standing by it. All the best.

• On May 2, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Jason, glad you are with us. Excited to move forward. Lots in store.

• On May 2, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Yeah, we knew we’d lose a few on our way to doing this, but we are committed to making the best product we can and plans for smaller contractors did not fit in that vision. Focus is necessary and change can be tough.

• On May 2, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Thanks for the confidence Tyler. Excited to see what you think of the improvements to come!

• On May 3, 2011, Chris said:

As many of the smaller business users above, we generally only create 2 or three invoices a month and sadly it won’t be cost effective for us to continue with Blinksale. Its a very easy and quick to use programme so I’m sorry we’ll have to discontinue its use only two months after moving over to it from our previous, free, self made solution. I only wish we knew about this before we signed up.

• On May 3, 2011, Underground Media said:

This is a great deal, invoicing is a major hassle as is keeping track of accounts. I am a developer not an accountant. $15 per month is a great deal.

• On May 3, 2011, Clifton Griffin said:

I’m confused by the number of people looking at this as a budget busting change.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the original price of $6 is moving up to $9 for existing users who opt-in now. That may be “50%” but it’s also only $3 a month. The price of a latte at Starbucks.

Even if you come up with the yearly cost, that’s only $36 a year extra. That *should* be less than one hour of additional billing for freelancers here.

If your budget is sensitive to a $3 uptick, I would wager to say you have a lot more to worry about than Blinksale. Not sure it’s fair to blame Blinksale.

Anyway…off my soap box now. I just get the impression that quite a few of the naysayers here we’re waiting for an excuse to jump ship.

Clif

• On May 3, 2011, Yash Mody said:

We have been using Blinksale for quiet some time now. I don’t understand how it affects others but for us its a cool deal. Overall usability of the product makes it extremely important for us

There are a few things that would make it nice though.
    1. Better reporting features, showing number of invoices, ability to select multiple companies and so on
    2. Ability to add custom unit values for invoices – most of the times we have to match the unit types to the purchase order

• On May 3, 2011, Marli Creeach said:

Here’s my 2 cents.
    I was a freshbooks user and yes, i loved it and still do. But was out of my budget because while I wasn’t sending very many invoices a month, I have a lot of clients to keep in the system, so that put me out of the cheaper freshbooks plan. So I came to Blinksale, where I can have unlimited clients and now unlimited invoices.

Yes with the new structure, you might have to pay more, but even with freshbooks it would be more for anyone with more than 3 clients ($19.95 for 25 clients). I have now more than 25 clients in my system (maybe billed annually or quarterly or monthly, or never again, but I still need to keep them) so I’d have to pay $29.95 to have the unlimited that you get with Blinksale for $15/mo (or $12 if you’re grandfathered in). DEFINITELY WORTH THAT!

2nd, I’m all for supporting smaller, local businesses and helping them out… after all, I am one of those as well. I appreciate how Doublewide Labs is constantly working to improve Blinksale and satisfy their customers. Sometimes in a business you have to make tough decisions and that is what they’ve done here.

Now, with that said. I would not have signed up initially without the $6 plan. Because I had just a few clients and sending a few invoices a month. So, I understand those who are leaving because they can’t/don’t want to pay more. However, my business has gotten busier and our client base has grown and we are sending more invoices, so I’m glad I was here and could easily upgrade. If you leave here, you’ll probably be coming back when your business grows and switching everything over is just a pain.

I look forward to what Blinksale offers in the future and am glad I’m with them.
    Rock on, Doublewide!

• On May 3, 2011, Kevin said:

Like several others, I only send a handful of invoices each year and simply can’t justify spending $9/month on Blinksale. However, I would certainly consider paying something like $25/year for the same or similar free plan that I currently enjoy.

• On May 3, 2011, Lee said:

Cool, you just saved me having to Google for a new invoicing service.

• On May 3, 2011, Lee said:

Well it was good while it lasted. I would have paid something, had Blinksale actually introduced something useful to me like an expense system. Even with that though, $9 would still be too much. The $3 plan with an expense tracker would have been of interest to me.

Anyway either back to Excel or one of the other online invoice systems that still has a free plan.

• On May 3, 2011, Lee said:

One of the points you miss is that I’m not going to pay an excessive amount for features I am not going to use. The free account of Blinksale was great but only accomplished what I could do in Excel. Now if Blinksale added other features that I would actually use like basic expense tracking, so I could move more of my part time small business into them. Then it’s worth some money. Still not $9 a month but something.

• On May 3, 2011, ScottG said:

Just voicing my disappointment with the loss of my free account. I only send a few invoices per year.

I totally understand why you’re doing this from a business point of view. Years ago it was trendy to offer a free account to try to hook people into your service. Nowadays I’m reading lots of blog posts about how to get rid of “freeloading” customers who are unlikely to upgrade from their free accounts. I’ll admit it, I’m one of the freeloaders who at this time has no intention of becoming a paying customer. I only do occasional freelancing jobs on the side.

Should my situation change in the future though, I doubt I would consider Blinksale again. I’m not particularly angry, but I don’t want to reward you for having abandoned me – a potential customer who can’t be using much in the way of your computing resources.

• On May 3, 2011, Roc said:

• On May 3, 2011, Lee said:

You said it best. How much did it cost them for those of us that used the free account for 36 invoices a year? I myself did about 12-15. Should that ever change though and I need to go to a larger service, it won’t be with Blinksale now.

It would be interesting for them to post how many accounts close vs upgrade (mine is already closed). The outcome of these sorts of price changes always interest me. I’ll be checking back in a few months to see how long this new plan lasts.

• On May 3, 2011, JoelS said:

I use Blinksale to send invoices only to customers who want to pay online (via paypal) and the extra $36 dollars a year for this convenience and for unlimited invoices seems like a good thing for my business.

• On May 3, 2011, Lee said:

I think many of us used this for our part time side business. I was under the grandfathered free account so I paid nothing, for those of us under that plan it’s a $108 change. So that $108 on a yearly gross of only say $5000 does actually impact the bottom line. Had the increase only been forced to $3 a month for those of us really small users I would likely have stayed to keep things simple. Not to mention a feature that would have been useful like expense tracking I would have gladly paid for that.

• On May 3, 2011, Austin said:

Wow! I love the new Blinksale plan! It’s so great to be getting unlimited features for just $15/month. When you think about $15 in the grand scheme of things for your business, it’s really quite a minimal cost to pay for the time saved and convenience.

• On May 3, 2011, Chops said:

Hurry Blinksale! Kick all those moochers off your servers!!

• On May 3, 2011, Chops said:

meant to say “HURRAY!”

• On May 3, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Nice, both “Hurry” and “Hurray” work!

• On May 3, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Chris, I’m sure you’ll find something that will suit your needs. Sorry to see you go. As we’ve said a few times in replies here, change is tough, but focus is good.

• On May 3, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

So glad you’ll be joining us! Enjoy and if there’s anything we can do to help, feel free to call or e-mail. Happy to help.

• On May 3, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Joel, glad that our business fits in with yours. Let us know how we can help … we’re here for you.

• On May 3, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Austin, glad you love it. Everyone joining us for Blinksale Unlimited will be increasingly pleased as we continue to release new features. Hope you have a great day!

• On May 3, 2011, Clifton Griffin said:

If you’ve worked on a project with multiple, countervailing goals I think you can appreciate that the cost of keeping the free service could be quite high.

Every hour a developer has to spend making older accounts play nicely with new features is lost money. And, with free customers who are unlikely to convert (as you say), that isn’t exactly a winning combination. At a certain point it doesn’t make sense to pay monthly/yearly to support past decisions and a model of business you no longer are interested in.

I know it sucks, but I also think they are probably making the best decision for their future profitability.

Clif

• On May 3, 2011, Clifton Griffin said:

Well, I guess it just depends on your perspective then.

I don’t bill much more than $5000 a year (I have a full time development job that is my primary focus), but I’m more than happy to pay the cost. It’s easily worth the time it saves me. I was originally on Freshbooks and Blinksale’s pricing looks a lot better (still) than 19.95 for more than 3 clients at FB.

• On May 3, 2011, Bobbi Jo Woods said:

I’ve been a customer of Blinksale since 2006, when it was still part of Firewheel, and I’ve been pretty happy with the service. I started out on the free plan, then realized I was sending out more than 3 invoices per month. I was very happy when they began the recurring invoices feature, which was ideal for my website hosting clients. I have been using the $12/month for 50 invoices plan for a couple of years now and haven’t seen any reason to switch.

Sure, Zoho and Freshbooks might be cheaper (Zoho is free) but I had some difficulty using their interfaces. Blinksale had it’s down moments too, when it was switched over to the new owners, but I’ve always gotten a pretty fast response to e-mail inquiries and even had a billing mishap which, once I alerted the Blinksale folks about it, was fixed and I got credited for the overage right away.

I’m not going anywhere for awhile, now that the features I know are there if i need them, are available for the same price I’ve been paying monthly.

Thanks, Blinksale!

• On May 3, 2011, Leslor said:

I would be willing to pay per invoice, but as a small freelance business I can’t justify a monthly cost this high. Sorry Blinksale :/ I have really enjoyed your services, and hope you consider a per invoice/estimate cost instead of monthly billing.

• On May 4, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Bobbi Jo, glad you are joining us. Lots to look forward to!

• On May 5, 2011, Lisa Sieverts said:

It’s a tough choice, but I’m going to stay with you guys at Blinksale. I’ve checked out the competition and everyone else is either more expensive for more services than I need, or free for fewer services than I need. I also don’t want to lose the history that I have in Blinksale. My customers have been happy with Blinksale as well – I’ve received no complaints about the “look and feel” of my invoices.
    The reason why it’s a tough decision is that I only send 4-6 invoices a month. I could do it in Word. But I like the online history, I like your user interface (as in “I enjoy logging in to Blinksale because it’s so pretty” — yes, I guess I’m just a girl!), and I love that you keep track of my invoices for me and you make it easy for me to send reminders to the occasional deadbeat client. So keep up the good work, and don’t add so many services that you have to raise the price again! You have a sweet spot for freelancers, don’t let “feature creep” price yourselves out of your market.

• On May 9, 2011, Chris said:

I know that Patrick has explained that it was a tough-decision to say goodbye to those of us who use the free version of the web site, and I know that there are tons of people in the comments like me who have no other option than using free web sites. So for that reason, I hope that the moderators of these comments won’t mind me posting a web site I found that will handle invoicing and much more, and they promise to do it for Free. http://www.waveaccounting.com looks very promising and I thought I’d pass it along. Hopefully you guys find it helpful.

• On May 10, 2011, Dave said:

I’m staying with Blinksale.
    It’s great at what it does.

Hopefully Blinksale can recover from the losses it incurs from all the free users leaving.

• On May 11, 2011, Tracy said:

I would be willing to pay the monthly if features that I signed up for in the beginning worked like I thought they would. Its been some years now and I still don’t see a great integration with Basecamp. That site has time tracking per customer/project. Why in the world have you still not been able to pull that time data to create an automatic invoice!? All you can pull is name and address, which is NOT the part of the process that is the time consuming repetitive data entry task. Are you planning on adding this feature? If not, I’m not going to stay, but I would like to stay, and would like to finally have this feature!

• On May 11, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Tracy, thanks for your comment. Everything you are asking for will be available in 2011. You will be able to grab a project and invoice for all of the billable hours in that project.

On top of that, we’re adding time tracking soon as well.

If you have any other questions or comments, feel free to call at the number below or e-mail us!

Have a great day!

• On May 11, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Hey Dave, thank you for your support! We have had a lot of excitement about the new Blinksale. Let me know if there is ever any way I can help you.

• On May 11, 2011, Patrick Dodd said:

Lisa, thank you for your support. We’re happy to keep things looking pretty. ;)
    If you ever need anything, let me know. patrick at blinksale dot com.

Have a great day!

• On May 11, 2011, Tracy said:

Thanks for the update Patrick! I’ve been waiting a long time for this feature and am really glad to hear that its finally coming down the pipe.

• On May 16, 2011, Abhi Beckert said:

I do freelance work in my spare time and only send about 6 or 7 invoices a year. Twenty dollars per invoice is impossible!

Can you please at least add a per-invoice-sent fee instead of a monthly fee?

• On May 16, 2011, Christina Sherman said:

So sad. I just can’t afford it. Will I be able to go in and see all my old invoices if needed and just not be able to send new ones? I only send one invoice a month so this is not a good value for me.
    Chris

• On May 16, 2011, Alicia Astorga said:

I am a freelance web designer with only a dozen customers. Cannot justify the new Blinksale pricing, even though I have been using their free account since 2006. Since Freshbooks only allows 3 customers for their free account, I went with Zoho. They have a great free account with unlimited customers & up to 5 invoices per month http://www.zoho.com/invoice/pricing-plans.html.

• On May 17, 2011, Tim said:

Bummer, really liked Blinksale. Moving on to another service. Looks like you’ll loose most of your $6 subs.

• On May 18, 2011, Jim said:

I always loved the flexibility of Blinksale. When I was having good months it was a no-brainer to upgrade to a bigger plan for the month but in this hard economic times I am only doing a few invoices a month and can’t justify paying for a little service. I feel that this is a big mistake since we put your service in front of our clients and encourage them to recommend and use it themselves. I can’t imagine the infrastructure costs for 3 invoices a month outweigh the word of mouth and brand advertisement of Blinksale.

• On May 19, 2011, Eric said:

I’ve really been on the fence about this ever since I got the email. On one hand, Blinksale does offer a great value. I can create my estimates and invoices quickly and easily, and have a professional means to transmit them to the client. The estimate approval button was a nice touch when that went in. On the other hand, I only generate about 8-10 estimates per year when responding to RFPs, and 4-6 invoices per year for those projects. A monthly fee of $9 (and then ultimately $15 or higher if it raises) seems like a lot for something that I had Word templates created for pre-Blinksale. I am continue my subscription at $9/month. Two hours of my billable work covers my Blinksale cost for a whole year. I don’t know what the future holds for me. I work full-time and freelance to try to pay of debts early, but I also have a kid on the way so I can’t really say how my priorities will shift. If I end up freelancing less, I will probably cancel. More than anything right now, I am continuing my subscription here because I hate Microsoft Word with a passion, and because I don’t have the time to devote to researching Freshbooks, Curdbee, and Zoho.

• On May 19, 2011, Donald Page said:

I see a lot of people complaining about a few dollars a month and I understand times are tough for freelancers. But if those freelancers are anything like me, I need a service like blinksale to allow me to present myself professionally to clients and also keep me on track with making sure people pay.

Could I do the things blinksale provides by myself? Sure I could. But for a few dollars a month, it saves a whole lot more than that in the time I would spend creating and trying to keep track of everything.

Thanks for simplifying

• On May 20, 2011, Brian said:

After taking a couple weeks to think about it, I’ve just decided to ‘bite the bullet’, as they say, and upgrade from my $6/mo. Bronze plan to the new Unlimited plan. As many others have pointed out, sure I could do this myself, but truth be told, I’m not a very organized person, so paying the fine folks at Doublewide a few bucks more per month to streamline an otherwise crappy process is really worth it.

I’ve been with Blinksale since 2006 and nothing out there even comes close to the ease of use, features and professional look as Blinksale. Carry on, peeps, and thanks for many years of providing me with great service. I look forward to many more.

• On May 23, 2011, Ron said:

This blog post says that the change will happen on July 1st, but the notice I got in my account is “Your Blinksale plan will be retired on June 1, 2011.”

Which is it? June or July? Or am I confusing 2 different things?

• On May 24, 2011, Brian said:

Sorry, but I’m not a Blinksale user anymore. I only send a handful of invoices a year, so this sudden change in plans only makes me turn away. Sure, I was a freeloader, thus I didn’t bring in revenue for Blinksale, but honestly, do the 5-8 invoices I send a year really impact the Blinksale’s servers or profitability? No, it’s such small peas that no one will notice, however, I’ve recommended Blinksale to others, they may turn into paying customers, thus offsetting my free plan. A very small and free plan would still benefit Blinksale.

Later… Freshbooks has a small free plan that would suite me just fine, which is unfortunate because I actually liked Blinksale.

• On May 24, 2011, BulletSeed said:

“if you can’t swing $15 a month for your invoicing solution, you may not be engaged in a viable business”

What kind of arrogant, elitist comment is this?

I, like many people, work a regular full-time job during the day and do sporadic IT/Programming for clients at night to be able to tie loose ends. I am happy that way and DO NOT wish to “grow” and go independent (been there, hated it). My projects are time consuming so i will probably do 1 (or none) per month but get very well paid for them. I will not pay $9/mo for one invoice. You know why? Because even if it’s “peanuts”, my half-invoice-per-month is just not a load on any server. I know Blinksale must make a profit, but these low usage users (like me) are a necessary evil since we usually recommend the service to everyone we know. That’s what we are: FREE MARKETING. I’ve had at least 3 friends go on paid plans on Blinksale. What do I get for it? Nothing! Not even a free invoice a month anymore.

Blinksale, sure you’re dropping all the dead weight and freeloaders from your servers. But remember there’s always small sacrifices and risks you must make in order to get a bigger return. I believe this was not the best decision. You should’ve blocked the ability to create new free accounts, but honored the ones that were already here. This is not a typical move. Not even independent sites like xp-dev.com or commercial sites like netflix.com do stuff like this. They kept my account type when they changed. It’s sad though, since you have such a great site…